+4 lbs apples
local fresh apple cider
raw sugar
cinnamon
cloves
allspice
Cook slowly until thick.
So far, I have put up about a dozen pints. The rich golden brown color is so beautiful. I haven't ever seen commercial apple butter look like this. The flavor is also unbelievable.
I plan to tie the jars lids with jute string that have hand painted labels attached. I thought these could make lovely gifts for the season coming. Apple butter is tasty alternative to jam or jelly on a peanut butter sandwich. Or, it can be spread on buttered toast. Mmm, good. Kent spread apple butter on salmon the other night and grilled it. That was different. I was surprised, John who is our resident 15 1/2 yr old really liked it spread on a buttered bagel with peanut butter.Kevin, who is 11 years old, said that if he gave someone a jar of apple butter, they wouldn't know what to do with it. He believes no one he knows has ever heard of apple butter. I bet he's right.
And, there you have it.
The colors are captivating. Jars of apple butter are peaking through jars of red cabbage saurkraut. I made up 25, 8 oz. jars of apple butter over the weekend.
On Sunday, Kent's parents came over after a soccer game and we all had buttered home made bread spread with our own "falling apples farm" apple butter.
We've got to find a better name that this one!
Ta-Da!
25, 8 oz. jars of Apple Butter.
No comments:
Post a Comment