February is our shortest month. This year it has an extra day but it doesn't matter. Warm temperatures that have been unseasonably warm have moved many garden lovers to think about taking care of their lawns and garden beds sooner than what is usually understood as a normal time i.e. March or April. "Stop"!!, they write. "It is too soon to fertilize a lawn, for goodness sakes". "Just because you can see it, doesn't mean that it is time to dump fertilizers on it", advise the gardener syndicates. OK. That makes me feel better. But, no we have greater worries here in New England. Just when my seed order arrived, it wasn't a day later when an article came out in the Boston Globe newspaper discussing the gardener's worries for the gardener's year ahead. What? Are we in need of finding something to complain about now because our winter was too mild? Without a winter to gripe about, I guess we need to look toward the next season to find fault in it. Yes, the article predicted a spring and summer of drought, increased bug infestation and innumerable weeds because of our mild winter. Yes! There had to be trouble ahead. I knew it. The winter was too mild and it did not satisfy our gut need to complain and compromise. So, now we have something to worry about and complain about indeed; a draughty growing season with too much warmth so infestation of all kinds will plague our gardens.
Don't get me wrong. I'm a worrier. The above news broke me up and I wonder now what will become of all that I have planned and hoped for. Who knows.
Next month, I will be starting my seeds indoors under lights.
The tasks of February did not change despite that it was mild and inviting of the next season.
1. My garden was planned and I placed my seed order. This took a doubly huge amount of time. I wish I could draw my garden plan but it wouldn't count for anything because it changes as the season evolves. I'll keep you posted.
My seed order arrived last week, and I checked it over. That also was a part of the huge effort for the growing year to come. Preparing the seed order also took hours and hours. Nantes Carrots were back ordered. But, that was it. I was amazed. I ordered herb and vegetable seeds. I also put in my potato and onion set order as well as my garden supply orders. I ordered a new set of grow lights. This was a big buy but I sensed that with the increase need to grow herbs and greens, I would need the extra lights. (I was the only one happy with this purchase, btw.) I ordered wire hoops and cloth mesh to build a cloche if needed. I want to try this. It could function to protect the squashes from the huge vine borer infestation of last year. I didn't want to grow any cucurbits this year because of it. It was beyond just awful. I may try planting the squashes in other parts of the property if I have to and that may have nothing to do with the garden. And, who cares. I would be more than happy to see pumpkin vines taking over tree stumps at the edge of the property by the stone wall, if they could avoid a bunch of vine borers and mildew inside of the garden walls.
2. I pruned the apple trees closest to the house. Jeremy got the biggest and most remote branches. Darn, there really is an advantage to being an extra 6 inches taller. I sawed, lopped and cut 3 trees over the month. It took many many hours to clean them of their mummified fruit and cut off their water sprouts of the last few years. They aren't happy old trees. I can only hope that this care is helpful rather than of harm. It took a lot of effort. Their branches lay around their bases. Soon we will chip the wood and that will nourish the soil around them.
3. February is Orchid month. I didn't know this having never grown Orchids. I was given one last year with its pretty blooms all made out. Then they fell off and I figured that it was done and so was I for caring of it. But, no! Buds began to appear in January and walla! I have blooms again. Patience, a bit of water and sunlight with almost no movement or disturbance brought them back. My sense is that it didn't like to be moved... a different issue. Anyway, it's here again with 3 pretty blooms.
No comments:
Post a Comment