Saturday, March 3, 2012

The first week of March; freezing rain over crusted snow.




This is a view of the fenced garden, one recently pruned apple tree and the roses that mark the path up to the house. At the time of this picture freezing rain was falling. Fog was hovering over the lower tree tops further down the hill. All seemed silent and waiting except for one Cardinal that I heard chirping away from a branch. Though he was obscured by the mist and grey, his chirp was brighter than my thoughts. "Sprinnng, sprinng, sprinnng". The notes ended upward every time.

No, no one has really been complaining about this mild winter. The arrival of calf deep snow seemed like a relief by assuring us that winter still exists. As much as we enjoyed the mild temperatures, I believe many of us were getting worried. Ahhh, ice and snow at last!

March will be a busy month whether winter lingers or fades as quickly as it arrived 2 days ago.
Week 1, I hope to start leek and celery seeds under lights.
Week 2, I'll start broccoli cabbage and lettuce under lights.
.... etc.
I can update on real time as I go.


The Herbal Class: "Far more than just green matter, herbs have an inherent ability to channel life energy and to connect with the places in us that need healing" (From Rosemary Gladstar's Lesson 1) I agree, though it has taken a life time to understand it.

I failed to mention that I have started a 10 month long herbal apprenticeship. My first class was the last week of February. My homework will require the month of March to complete it. Our first area of health that we are studying is the nervous system. For some, it may sound like the driest area of study with the prime of its function occurring up on the top of our body where it is encased in a globe of bone. I was pleased to see that this area is the first.
This course is an introduction. I can research as much as I want to about each herb that I am introduced to. Some of the herbs I have used or I am familiar with their uses. I have grown only Chamomile in the garden.
Below is a list of  important "Nervines, sedatives, demulcents and stimulants":

Skullcap
Hops
Valerian
Chamomile
Lobelia
Wood Betony
Catnip
St. John's Wort
California Poppy
Oats
Lemon Balm
Feverfew
Ginseng
Gota Kola
Ginko

"In treating nervous system disorders, one has the opportunity to see holistic medicine in action. Not only does one treat the physical body when working with this system but the psychological and spiritual realms as well; we are able to witness the interaction between body, mind and spirit in healing."

Our entire system responds to a healthy nervous system and therefore also to an imbalanced one.
Rosemary lists imbalances that are indicate the nervous system needs special care and treatment:
Restlessness
Low Energy
Hyper Energy
Mental Fatigue
Headache
Neuralgia
Sciatica
Neuritis
MS
PMS
Insomnia
Inability to cope
Irritability
Depression
Herpes
Menstrual Pain
Tics, spasms
Skin Disorders
Epilepsy
Neurological Disorders

No comments:

Post a Comment